Level 1 Master Gardener Training for 2022
Cost is $140 per student.
Mail or drop off registration form and payment to:
MSU Extension Cascade County
3300 Third St NE, #9
Great Falls, MT 59404
Make checks payable to: MSU Extension
Registration deadline is Tuesday, January 18, 2022.
Thank you for your interest in the Cascade County Master Gardener Program! The Master Gardener Program was first started by the Washington State Cooperative Extension Service in 1972. It grew out of a need to meet an enormous increase in requests from home gardeners for horticultural information and education. Master Gardeners have become a vital part of Extension’s ability to provide consumers with up-to-date reliable information. Master Gardening has also given its participants a sense of community spirit, accomplishment and intellectual stimulation.
The Level 1 classes will be held on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Cascade County Disaster and Emergency Services building at 521 1st Ave NW in Great Falls, MT. This class features updated materials from MSU Extension.
Dates and subject matter of the 2022 classes are:
- Saturday, February 5: Welcome; Introduction; Soils, Nutrients and Fertilizer.
- Saturday, February 12: Plant Growth and Development 1 and 2.
- Saturday, February 19: Growing Vegetables 1 and 2. First half of the take-home test distributed.
- Saturday, February 26: Herbaceous Ornamentals; Landscape Design; Planting Trees and Shrubs.
- Saturday, March 5: Pruning; Lawns and Turfgrass; Irrigation. First half of the take-home test due.
Field trip on March 5 to the wonderful Bundi Greenhouse. Field trip will be approximately from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 12: Small Fruit; Tree Fruit; Compost; and Integrated Pest Management. Second half of the take-home test distributed.
- Friday, April 8: Second half of the take-home test due. Mail to Cascade County Extension or take to the office, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The cost of the class is $140 which includes the Montana Master Gardener Handbook color printed notebook, ($90 if you already have a book), classes, and guest speakers. After completion of the course, you will be required to complete 20 volunteer hours to be certified as a Master Gardener.
You may register by printing a fillable Master Gardener Level 1 registration form. Please complete and return the registration section and payment to: MSU Extension-Cascade County, 3300 Third Street NE, #9, Great Falls, MT 59404.
Please make checks payable to MSU Extension.
Requested information for registration: Full name of student, mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
Please contact Master Gardener Jeannie Bennett at (406) 781-7615 for more information or special arrangements.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Montana State University and Montana State University Extension prohibit discrimination in all of their programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital and family status.